메디케어 파트 A 알아보기 > 사회보장혜택

본문 바로가기
사이트 내 전체검색

사회보장혜택

메디케어 파트 A 알아보기

페이지 정보

작성자 레몬 댓글 0건 조회 1,218회 작성일 11-08-31 11:20

본문

As we age, and enter retirement, or as our parents age, and can no longer care for themselves, a growing question many face is how to navigate the ins and outs of the Medicare coverage available. In order to better understand what you can do and how to go about claiming and planning for your benefits under the Medicare system, the following information should be helpful:

Establish whether you are qualified to receive Medicare Part A benefits

Look on your Medicare card if you have it because your card will tell you whether you have benefits under Medicare Part A.

Know that persons over 65 years of age that have made sufficient contributions with their earnings automatically receive the premium-free benefit plan, but this normally also covers spouses of contributing workers who have worked at least ten years in a job that has Medicare coverage.;
Understand that those over 65 years of age who have not contributed sufficient income to be eligible premium-free may still PURCHASE the coverage for a nominal premium.;
Be aware that, in addition, for low-income retirees and seniors, every state may offer some premium payment assistance.;
Keep in mind, persons less than 65 years of age suffering from specific disabilities may qualify. Normally these are limited to the same disabilities that are required to collect Social Security Benefits. Those who are disabled but have returned to work, and who no longer qualify for the free benefits are STILL entitled to purchase them from Medicare.

Note that persons of ANY age suffering from End Stage Renal Disease (permanent kidney failure requiring dialysis or a kidney transplant) automatically qualify for Medicare Part A and Part B coverage.

Determine whether the claims you would like to make are Medicare Part A claims

Ask yourself what the medical bills are for. Anything that does not fit into one of the following categories is NOT eligible for Medicare Part A benefits, but may be coverable elsewhere:
Inpatient care in hospitals. This includes Critical Access Hospitals and Skilled Nursing Facilities following a THREE-DAY inpatient admission.
Hospice Care by a Medicare-Certified Hospice Provider. This may include grief counseling and other benefits for close family members as well.
Some Home Health Care. This is usually limited to highly skilled maintenance treatment of chronic diseases of the elderly such as respiratory failure, renal failure, diabetes and other conditions that may require more skill than family members are capable of administering.
Consider whether the claim you are going to submit is purely medically necessary, or whether some expenses may be rejected. Medicare only has to cover the essentials in the hospital, such as a semi-private room instead of a private room, unless the doctor shows the private room is medically necessary (instances of this are not common). Also, television and telephone or Internet in your hospital room are not medically necessary, so be prepared to pay for those expenses out of pocket, or plan not to have them.
Note anything the doctor says about negotiated rates or approved rates. A provider will only be receiving the scheduled Medicare Part A rate for any services administered. They cannot charge you the difference between their normal rate and the negotiated rate. However they can charge you the portion of that scheduled rate for which you are responsible, as Medicare does not always cover 100 percent of the cost.
Plan to discuss the plan for care with your medical provider and the hospital so that you understand how long you should expect to be admitted, how to keep your paperwork in order and how to keep track of the bills. Most hospitals do this for you in their billing department, but it never hurts to keep track for yourself. This will also help you plan out family visits, and manage the affairs of your home in your absence and recovery.

Plan ahead wherever possible

Understand that doctors and hospitals may have to take care of you on an emergent basis, so if they are unaware of your age, or your Medicare status, you could end up getting a bill you were never meant to pay. The most important item of this section is that you will receive a card from the Medicare plan that tells you what benefits you have. If you don't have a card, then you will face many obstacles in getting your benefits paid quickly when you visit the hospital. Keep your card with you at all times, and make sure to refrain from lending it to anyone at any time for any reason. If you have designated someone as your legal guardian, or if you are the legal guardian of a Medicare patient, then you should make sure that the guardian has access to or possession of the card in an emergency.
Think about any chronic or degenerative conditions you have that may lead to frequent inpatient admissions. If you have an expectation of a return to the hospital, pack some items in advance to keep ready whenever needed, like toiletries, reading material and spare clothing.
Plan for the payment of your benefits through Medicare Part A, and know what is covered.
Note that since this is tax-funded health care, they will try to cover only what is actually MEDICALLY NECESSARY. Experimental procedures and alternative healing techniques are typically troublesome in Medicare Part A claims.
Comfort yourself with the fact that Medicare Part A DOES cover meals, general nursing and other hospital supplies and services as an inpatient, as well as similar coverage for Hospice and Home Health Care needs (minus the meals of course).
Ask your medical provider or doctor if you are not sure whether the expense you will incur should be covered by Medicare Part A.
Beware that for Mental Health inpatient admissions, the LIFETIME limit is a total of 190 days. Combined inpatient care with a secondary diagnosis of mental health issues may not be affected by this, but check with Medicare and your Provider to be sure about whether or not it will cut into your limit.
Realize that if you find yourself in a Skilled Nursing Facility, you will also get coverage for rehabilitative services, such as that commonly necessary post-stroke or post-cardiac event.
Bear in mind that additional coverage for reasonable and necessary part-time or intermittent skilled nursing care and home health aide services as well as physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech-language pathology that are ORDERED by your doctor and PROVIDED by a Medicare-certified home health agency are also covered. That means that you can't pick and choose who gives you the care, but that you have the added assurance that the Medicare certification has vetted out fly-by-nighters who you can't trust in your home. Also included, and which you may not be aware of, are medical social services, durable medical equipment (like oxygen equipment, wheelchairs, hospital beds and walkers), medical supplies and other services.
See your doctor or hospice provider to verify the plan for covering drugs for symptom control and pain relief if you are in Hospice Care, because these benefits are also normally covered under Medicare Part A.;

Find out what types of plans are available to you

Apply for Medicare Part A benefits when you go to receive your first card, and ask the following questions: Do I need the traditional Medicare plan? What is the difference between that plan and the Medicare Advantage Plans? (These are akin to PPO, HMO and PFF plans in the private sector). Is my spouse or partner covered under my benefit plan? Must I pay a premium? Must my spouse or partner pay a premium? Where do I send claims when I get them? Must I use specific claim forms? What accommodations may be made for my vision/hearing or physical disabilities? (If applicable). Must I deal with a specific contact person at Medicare to handle any problems I may have? What if the hospital incorrectly sends me a bill? Must I submit it, or should the hospital correct the error on their own?
Communicate with your Medical Providers 1
Reserve time either before or at the end of any inpatient care to speak to the billing department and your doctors and other medical providers to understand what will be sent to Medicare. They send in these claims all the time, and will be experts in solving problems for you.
Keep your Medicare card handy in case the medical provider cannot help you and you need to contact Medicare directly.
Realize that in addition to your care, the doctors and nurses may be able to assist you in navigating the maze of claims and scheduled rates that Medicare applies. One of the most common problems they can help solve is reading your statement of Medicare benefits once they are paid. It may look like you owe money, when in fact, you don't.;

Relax and take good care of yourself

Remember that the easiest way to never deal with Medicare is to take steps to prevent the preventable diseases.
Never forget that you cannot predict when and where you will get sick, so it is best to learn the ropes ahead of time.

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.